This week in NYC is Tartan Week and yesterday was Tartan Day! Even though I have no Scottish blood in me (I know, shocking right?!) I just had to join in on the festivities and what better excuse to christen the Missguided tartan skirt I’ve been so longing to wear than on this very day.
If you’re in New York City this week and want to celebrate this Scotch-tastic occasion here’s a few things you can do:
1. Listen to the Highland Divas, April 8, 7:00 pm, Metropolitan Room, 34 West 22nd Street
2. See portraits of 16 Scottish notables, Ewan McGregor, Alan Cumming, and Brian Cox to name a few, painted by one of Scotland’s best known portrait artists, Gerard Burns. ‘Brush with Inspiration’, April 8 to 17, Glasgow Caledonian University New York Campus, 64 Wooster Street
3. Drink Scotch at one of New York’s original speakeasies, The Back Room, 102 Norfolk Street, open 7 days a week, 7:30 pm ’til late
4. Hit Central Park and take a picture with Robert Burns and Sir Walter Scott (well their statues anyway), any day of the week, somewhere on Literary Walk, before the boating pond and Bethesda Fountain.
5. End the week with the parade! April 11, 2:00 -5:00 pm, Sixth Avenue from 45th to 55th Street
sweater: VINTAGE; tartan skirt: MISSGUIDED