I’m not really someone who likes to put on a whole lot of heavy makeup. I prefer the natural, dewy look all year round, even for a fancy, schmancy holiday party. Nonetheless, I’ve titled this post my holiday party makeup routine even though it’s really kind of my everyday makeup routine. The difference being there’s a little extra pow-pow at the end to make this look really stand out for a glam-bam-thank-you-m’aam kind of evening, #nofilter style.
If you’re a beauty junkie, I’m sure you’ve heard that the prep is everything. Having a good base is really key to making your makeup look good. The most annoying thing I get during the cold, winter months is getting dry, flaky skin. I’ve definitely had moments where I’ve put a full face of makeup on, only to see that my foundation has started peeling on my forehead and cheeks. Ugh, why oh why?!
The night before a party, I always slather a hydrating face mask with hyaluronic acid for a good ten minutes. I swear by this rosewater gel mask. It feels uh-mazing and it’s really gentle on my finicky, sensitive skin. The next day after using a mask, my skin always feels hydrated and soft. It’ll be the perfect base for putting on your foundation. If you have more than one night to prep your skin for a party, why not try out this pre-party beauty routine.
1. I put a thin layer of YSL’s Forever Light Creator CC Primer on my face after moisturizing. This is by far my favorite primer ever! I know it may seem a bit steep at $45, but it’s totally worth it. I use it in apricot. The color correcting tint hides any discoloration on my face and leaves it looking flawless. On most days, I just use this and no foundation for a very natural, no makeup glow. Luckily I ended up getting it for 20% off because I’m a Sephora VIB member, so lookout for those deals if you’re a bit wary of getting it at full price.
2. I’m beyond in love with Chantecaille’s Future Skin Foundation. I never thought I’d gush over a foundation before, but here I am doing just that. This is the one foundation that feels like I’m not wearing anything at all, even after a long day, and it gives me all-day coverage. Plus, it’s the only foundation that gives me a natural, dewy glow and doesn’t flake out on my combination/dry winter skin. It’s a water-based foundation so I use a soft, synthetic brush like this one to blend this all over my face. For an affordable everyday alternative, this BB cream also gives a natural, dewy glow and can be found at most drugstores.
3. After putting on foundation, I apply Chantecaille’s highlighter pen under my eyes, on my forehead, on the bridge of my nose, and on my chin. I bring this pen everywhere with me. I just reapply under my eyes when needed. It brightens up my face immediately and conceals any signs of fatigue within seconds. When I’m at home I blend it in using a stippling brush for an airbrushed effect. I just use my fingers when I’m on the go.
4. To set my makeup I lightly dust Makeup Forever’s HD Microfinish powder all over my face. This is the key to a pore-less finish.
5. I contour my face with Benefit’s Dallas Box o’ Powder Blush. It’s the perfect shade for a contour powder, blush, and bronzer, all in one.
6. I fill in my brows with Anastasia’s Brow Wiz in Granite. I love Anastasia’s brow line. She has all the shades to match just about anyone’s hair color. A few light strokes here and there, a quick blend with the spoolie, and I’m good to go. If I have a bit more time, I love using Glossier’s Boy Brow to keep my brow hairs in place.
7. Okay, here’s one bit I add to my makeup routine to take me from day to night in no time flat. I swipe Benefit’s Watts Up Cream-to-Powder Highlighter on my cheeks and under my brow bone. It gives me a sexy, dewy disco glow with #nofilter that really pops on a night out.
8. After putting on my Studio 54 highlighter, I start with my eyes. I’m like a kid when I put on my eye makeup. I always prefer using my fingers to blend in my shadow across my eyelids. It’s quick, easy, and just ever-so-slightly imperfect (which I think is way sexy in a rock n’ roll, boudoir-esque kind of way). After my shadow I put on a flick of liquid liner. This one from Kat Von D will never budge. I’ve boogied with it, I’ve partied with it, I’ve even slept with it (never sleep with your makeup on kids), you’ll wear out before it does, trust me on this.
9. Here’s another step I only do on fun nights out. I put on false eyelashes. Definitely an optional step, especially if you already have long, thick lashes. If you do, I’m très jel. I, unfortunately, was born with wimpy lashes, so after I curl them and put on my favorite curling mascara, I stick these glorious babies on from Velour Lashes. Can I get a, “#GetItGirl”?!
10. Last but not least is my pout. I’m not really a red lippy kind of girl, even though of all the times I would wear red lipstick it would definitely be around the holidays. To complete my overall radiant, dewy holiday party look, I prefer a swipe of YSL’s Rouge Volupte Sheer Candy Glossy Lip Balm in Dewy Papaya. I love that it makes my lips buttery soft (very important for the dry, winter air) and it doesn’t look too done up so I’m not worrying about it all night long. True, it won’t last all night but this is one thing I don’t mind reapplying. For some extra definition I trace this nude lip liner just above my lip line for an extra, plump pout.
So there you have it, my holiday party makeup routine. If you’d like to know how to get super soft lips for all that mistletoe, I’ll be sharing a d.i.y. candy cane lip scrub recipe in my next e-newsletter. Sign up here to get it delivered straight to your inbox.
Happy holidays, lovelies!